The Shaker Music Fest will provide each participant with one rain barrel, primed white in color.
As a selected artist for the Rain Barrel Project, you will receive a small monetary stipend. In exchange, the artist must be willing to donate their time, creativity, paint, and a spray finish.
Your work will be featured on our website, and will be displayed during the Shaker Music Festival on August 9, 10, & 11, 2019. The event will be widely advertised and we are preparing for large crowds at this year’s venue. Attached to each barrel will be a sign including the artist’s name(s), brief biography, and interpretation of the work.
June 20, 2019: Deadline for artist expression for interest
June 26, 2019: Shaker Music Fest will notify successful candidates. Selected artists will be required to pick up their rain barrel at disclosed address, no later than July 1, 2019 after which it may be given to a runner up artist.
July 7, 2019: Shaker Painting Event – Artists are invited to gather for the day and paint together (optional participation), share ideas and concepts and in general connect as a community of artists.
July 22, 2019: Supporting information is due, including title of work, short artist bio and descriptive interpretation of the work (200 words or less). Email it to Genevieve ([email protected]).
August 8-9, 2019: Decorated barrels will be displayed at the Shaker Music Fest. Artists are responsible for bringing the barrels to the grounds for display purposes.
August 12-13, 2019: Buyers of the barrels will be able to pick up the barrels after the event.
PLANNING & PAINTING
Important note: To help you plan the design of your barrel, please note the small spigot hole at the bottom of the barrel will serve as the front, and this side should be the focal point of your design. In most cases, when in use, the back of the rain barrel will be against the wall (large hole near the top of the barrel the back side).
- Please do not adhere anything, such as paper, embellishments, etc. to the barrels.
- Please do not paint any part of the lid.
- Remember you are only limited by your imagination! Art work does not need to have an environmental theme. However, please avoid topics of a political, religious, or sexual nature.
- Outdoor acrylic craft paint or small amounts of exterior latex house paint work best.
- Acrylic craft paint may be purchased at the following stores: Michaels Arts & Crafts, Home Hardware, Wal-Mart or the Dollar Store.
You must complete your rain barrel with at least 2 coats of polyurethane spray or roll-on coating. Provide at least 48 hours of drying time after completing your painting before applying the spray. After 48 hours, apply two coats of polyurethane—allow it to dry between coats as directed. Clear polyurethane spray or coating may be purchased at the following stores: Home Hardware, Michaels Arts & Crafts, Canadian Tire, or Wal-Mart.
Two suggestions for the protective coat:
- Flecto Varathane Waterborne Diamond Wood Finish for Outdoors
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray clear coat in either satin or gloss finish
NOTE: The application and drying of the protective top coats can take 1-2 days, therefore you should aim to have your painting finished at the latest by August 5-6, 2019. Proper application of the protective coats will help ensure your artwork will last for years.
SET-UP – Artists are responsible for storing their finished barrel until the Shaker Music Festival. We will provide delivery details once we have a date and time for set up at the festival.
The prize categories are as follows:
- Best Individual Work –Two VIP 2020 Shaker Music Festival Tickets, judged by the festival goers
- Best Environmental Theme – Two reusable stainless-steel Shaker cups, judged by Shaker Committee
We thank you for your participation and greatly appreciate the
donation of your time and talent in our inaugural year of the Rain Barrel Project.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
For more information please contact Genevieve at: